Since your state creates your story, anchors are vital for changing your state in order to change the story playing in your mind.
Here are some of my "go-to's, simply repeat these (or create your own) out loud or in your mind during times of heightened emotion:
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up." ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:11
"The Lord will fight for you, just stay calm." ~ Exodus 14:14
"I thank you for the wonderful way that you have made me." ~ Psalms139:14
"I am strong and resilient"
"I am calm and confident"
"I am enough in this moment"
These are simple tools to use when you feel yourself entering a sympathetic (fight, flight, freeze) state. We communicate and connect at our best when we are in a regulated state, so give these a try throughout your day. Bonus: you will also improve your emotional flexibility to better handle future adversity.
- 4-5-6 breathing = inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, exhale for 6 seconds.
- Voo breathing = deep inhale, exhale to the deep sound of the word "voooooo".
- M-O-V-E = For a minimum of :90. Jump, Dance, Shake, Walk, Run etc. Any physical movement will process energy that will otherwise get stuck if ignored in an activated state.
- 20 second hug = hug self or another trusted person. Hug for :20 until you feel a release of tension. Say the above statements for added impact.
These books are some of my favorites and are available in hard copy or on Audible.
- Big Potential by Shawn Achor- How to unlock hidden sources of potential in ourselves and others. In a world that thrives on competition and individual achievement, we are measuring and pursuing potential all wrong. By pursuing success in isolation - pushing others away as we push ourselves too hard - we are not just limiting our potential, we are becoming more stressed and disconnected than ever.
- The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins- How to enrich your life and destroy doubt in five seconds. Mel Robbins will explain the power of a "push moment" and one simple tool you can use to become your greatest self.
- InSide Out Coaching by Joe Ehrmann- Provides critical information to help coaches everywhere create more meaningful experiences for themselves and to maximize their impact on the lives of the athletes they coach.
Go even deeper to develop the mind and body skills necessary for your own peak performance!